Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Invisible Man Book Review

"The stranger went into the little parlour of the Coach and Horses about half-past five in the morning, and there he remained until near midday, the blinds down, the door shut, and none, after Hall's repulse, venturing near him." This brief statement from the book, The Invisible Man, basically sumarizes the strangeness that is yet to come in the rest of the story. The Invisible Man, by H.G. Wells, astounded me with its unusual plot and uncommon style.

The main element of this book that caught me off guard was the difficult and hard to follow writing style of the author. Unlike many of the previous books I have read, H.G. Wells placed the setting of his story in Old English time. He used jargon such as "constable" and "peewit". These terms were unknown to me and to completly understand the story I had to use dictionary references.

Another main point of the story was the setting in which The Invisible Man took place. I was astonished at H.G. Wells' ability to paint a mental picture of the town and the scenery in the book. He used an abundance of descriptive adjectives, verbs, and nouns. When I close my eyes I can picture the small town where these unusual events took place. One example of his uncanny describing skills was, "When the dusk was gathering and Iping was just beginning to peep timorously forth again upon the shattered wreckage of its Bank Holiday, a short, thickset man in a shabby silk hat was marcing painfully through the twilight behind the beechwoods on the road to Bramblehurst." Paints a pretty good picture doesn't it?

Overall I would definiatly recommend The Invisible Man to any type of reader. While it may have its slightly disturbing moments, it is a book that everyone should read at some point in life. Like I said before, keep an eye out for his amazing ability to paint a setting!

No comments:

Post a Comment