Friday, October 15, 2010

Refelection of Independent Reading

After coming back to school from the long, enjoyable summer vacation I lost all of my will to continuously find reading time. Reading is one of those events that we have to make time to do, it doesn't just happen.
Ms. Huff's assignment and challenge of forcing me to make time to read and reflect on the overall picture of what I read was a very good experience. It made me go into deeper thought and meaning which made the novels and articles that I read more enjoyable. This assignment did help me establish a habit of reading at least thirty minutes every night. It turns out that I actually enjoy getting to have a little bit of "chill" time before bed every night to put my mind into a totally different world.
I now have a new daily routine. Every night, before I climb into bed I go to the comfiest chair in the house with a big cup of hot chocolate and I begin to read. The calming, quiet atmosphere keeps me focused, and Ms. Huffs advice about reflecting on the piece that I am reading makes the overall experience more enjoyable.
My analytical thinking has been brought to a whole new level. I have now began digging under the surface of just the black and white words of the text. I ask questions, I make connections, and I even do research that help me fuller understand the passage or book that I am reading.

1 comment:

  1. Your words do tickle my soul! Hot chocolate, eh. Perhaps I'll serve some up in class to stimulate the reading and thinking.

    ReplyDelete