Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Lovely Bones

"My name was Salmon, like the fish, first name Susie. I was 14 when I was murdered on December 6, 1973. It was still back when people believed things like this didn't happen." This is the first few lines from the book, The Lovely Bones. It's a little disheartening isn't it? The Lovely Bones tore at my heart strings, but it also had a truly unique and interesting writing style. The plot also drew me into the difficult, but excellent read.

Alice Sebolds' writing style took me by surprise. She had such a way with words that even though the book had a tough plot, her writing made it a really interesting read. Her writing style involved showing the tough side of Susie's murder, the heart ached family, the deranged murderer, and even the hopelessness of the entire situation. However, Alice also showed the happier side, which included the closure that was realized at the end of the book.

The beginning of the book starts out with Susie narrating the base of the story. She tells of her murder, and who murdered her, and how it happened. The rest of plot thickens when her family begins to investigate and they finally start to see the true side of their strange neighbor. I found the plot to be extremely interesting with the author's view of what heaven really is. It gave me a whole new perspective on that outlook.

Though The Lovely Bones was tough and slightly disturbing at times, I would definitely recommend it to any type of reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment